12 May 2010

Waiting On Wednesday: ELIXIR by Hilary Duff

This meme is hosted by Breaking the Spine.

My this week's pick is Hilary Duff's YA debut titled Elixir. I'm completely indifferent to Hilary Duff and so I won't be picking this up because it's (supposedly) written by *her*, but mostly because the story sounds quite interesting - plus I just know I won't be able to resist the massive hype this book will most likely be subjected to, heg.

The cover was also recently released - what do you think of it? Personally I'm not overly impressed, but it is rather astounding how this cover manages to be powerful and boring at the same time, ha.


ELIXIR by Hilary Duff
[12 October 2010]
As the daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington D.C. politician, Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. And though she dreads the paparazzi who track her every move, she herself is a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world.
But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful young man begin to appear in Clea’s photos—a man she has never seen in her life.
When Clea suddenly encounters this man in person she is stunned—and feels an immediate and powerful connection. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance and discover the centuries-old truth behind their intense bond.
Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fate, together they race against time to unravel their past in order to save their future—and their lives.
What's up with all these celebrities taking up YA fiction all of a sudden? (I'm looking at you, Tyra.) What's YOUR opinion on this? Do you ever buy a book just because it was written by a star, or could you care less? :)

21 comments:

YA Book Queen said...

I've got to admit, I'm curious about this one.

Normally I don't buy books by celebrities though. Like with Lauren Conrad, I didn't even bother reading LA Candy because I was so sick of reality shows by the time it came out (and that's a huge part of the plot). I'll only buy a book if I love it, and would read it again.

Leanna Elle said...

hehe! Great minds think alike! I did a post on Hilary and Tyra's books earlier. I probably will check this out at some point.

Kim said...

I grew up with her so I'm going to read it if nothing else to support something I grew up with. The story does sound interesting though. But I haven't read anything by Lauren Conrad or any other celebrity I don't think so this will kind of make it or break it for me.

Kim said...

I meant I grew up with Hilary on Disney. I didn't really grow up with her. Just thought I would clarify.

Anonymous said...

You know, I'm kind of hesitant when it comes to celebrity fiction, especailly when the celebrity was obviously handed a book deal before having any aspiration to publish. To be fair it'll never really be know just how much she wrote with all the stories on ghost writers and blah blah blah.

Then again, just because she's Hilary Duff doesn't mean that she's not a talented writer. I just have a problem with publishing companies obviously handing these out book deals to famous people as a quick way to make some money. It's kind of disappointing actually.

I think this series sounds okay. The cover is cute lol ;D

Luisa at Chicklish said...

I'm intrigued but slightly unsure. Thank you very much for highlighting this!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Wow! When I saw your post with the words "Elixir by Hilary Duff" I had to check it out. Honestly, I'm not sure about this one. I hope she can actually write and isn't doing this to gain exposure!

Unknown said...

I LOVE Hilary Duff! I love the cover to this but the story doesn't sound very interesting to me. And unless its a memoir I normally wouldn't buy books by a celeb.

erin said...

The plotline does sound interesting. Let's hope Hilary can write a book. I've read a celeb book written by Nicole Richie back in the Simple Life heyday. It was okay.

Dakota said...

I will not be reading this. I refuse!

Holly said...

If this book wasn't by Hilary Duff, I don't think I'd be picking it up just for the summary.

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

I don't really like the idea of celebrities writing books. I mean, you just can't be SO talented that you can act, sing, dance, model, cool, compose, etc. AND write. Choose one thing, darn it. Also, the summary's not very impressive. It really sounds like Hilary Duff wrote it, haha. But then again, I might be pejudiced, as I really don't care about Miss Duff.

Nina said...

I confess I read LA Candy and I so want to read the whole series! Somethimes you just need a fluffy read!
I don't like the summary of this book, but you never know. I maybe even try it. They could have done a better job with the cover, it's not that pretty!

Also this is the first time I heard that Tyra was writing a book. mmmm..but the concept sounds fun, modelland! Maybe...

Jennifer Rummel said...

thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued by the story here. I usually buy these books for the library, because I know teens will be asking for them. I'll be look at this one.

Tales of Whimsy said...

O O O me too!
I like HD and can't wait to see what this is like.

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I actually avoid books written by non-author celebrities like the plague. I don't see why the B-listers always want to stick their manicured fingers in everything. Sigh. I'll be interested to hear you review of this one though - if you enjoy it, I'll give it a shot. =)

Darlyn said...

wow..i never she actually could write..but hope she can prove me wrong. =)

Rowena said...

I'm going to read this to see if I like it or not. I love Lizzy Maguire!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna read it it sounds interesting. Tyra's writing a book???

Anonymous said...

It's silly to say that her she can't be good at singing, acting, dancing, etc as other people have posted. You can be good at as many things as you want to be. This exquisite young lady proves to us all that it is possible to follow through with our ambitions. The cover probably has a symbolic meaning to the story. I'm curious what that meaning is. I think she can relate to her character in the spotlight. That will make for a very realistic emotional experience I'm quite happy to go and get this book because I wanted to write a fiction novel about soul mates and this just shows me it can be done. In the summary alone, I can tell that the story is very tied together and I marvel at how she mixes two plots into one. I adore her ideas of a bad love triangle and a secret that keeps them together!

Anonymous said...

This book has surprised me so much, its actually really good and I'm a guy saying this its worth the read if your into paranormal romance.

Post a Comment