1 September 2010

Waiting On Wednesday: FALL OF GIANTS by Ken Follet

You may have heard of Ken Follet's upcoming massive book which will be epic and published in like a bajillion countries on the same date, 28th September? No? I heard the news a while ago, but didn't really pay much attention to it as I haven't read anything by Ken Follet and wasn't really planning to -- until I've actually read the synopsis for this book and it sounds amazing! I'm not sure if I'll buy the hardback or wait for the paperback (oh, the dilemma!), but this is definitely on my wishlist!

FALL OF GIANTS
by Ken Follet
[28th September 2010]
Fall of Giants is a magnificent new historical epic. The first novel in the Century trilogy, it follows the fates of five interrelated families – American, German, Russian, English and Welsh – as they move through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women’s suffrage.

Thirteen-year-old Billy Williams enters a man’s world in the Welsh mining pits…Gus Dewar, an American law student rejected in love, finds a surprising new career in Woodrow Wilson’s White House…two orphaned Russian brothers, Grigori and Lev Peshkov, embark on radically different paths half a world apart when their plan to emigrate to America falls afoul of war, conscription and revolution…Billy’s sister, Ethel, a housekeeper for the aristocratic Fitzherberts, takes a fateful step above her station, while Lady Maud Fitzherbert herself crosses deep into forbidden territory when she falls in love with Walter von Ulrich, a spy at the German Embassy in London….

These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as, in a saga of unfolding drama and intriguing complexity, Fall of Giants moves seamlessly from Washington to St. Petersburg, from the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty.

As always with Ken, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. It is destined to be a new classic.

In future volumes of the Century trilogy, subsequent generations of the same families will travel through the great events of the rest of the twentieth century, changing themselves – and the century itself. With passion and the hand of a master, Ken brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm going to pre-order it now.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Blueicegal ♥ said...

oh wow i can't believe i haven't heard of it, great pick!

Kathy said...

I am so excited for this book! I love Ken Follett's books. The Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite novels! Here's my post on Fall of Giants... http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2010/06/waiting-on-wednesday.html

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds powerful!

Here is my WOW :)

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

How have I not heard of this book yet? I've never read anything by Ken Follet, but I do know that he is incredibly popular. I'm sure this book will be big!

a cat named cat said...

I've never heard of this until now but it sounds completely amazing! I'm going to have to buy myself a copy pronto! :D Thanks for the heads up :) :)

Anonymous said...

This looks great - I have never read any of Ken Follett but I am going to add this to the ever growing wishlist!

Now like you do I wait for the paperback or go for the hardback??

Dot said...

This sounds excellent! My husband is reading a book by Ken Follett at the moment and really enjoying it!!

Anonymous said...

There was a huge hype before the launch of Fall of Giants by Ken Follett and the author has not let us down

Post a Comment