10 March 2010

Waiting On Wednesday: A double dose of YA reality chicks!

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine and it's used for listing the exciting upcoming releases.
Today I'll also be doing a double post since two of the books I'm looking forward to tackle the same subject, i.e. REALITY SHOWS. Surprisingly, I'm not a fan of reality TV at all, but I still find myself drawn to these books, lol. Yep, I already have both LA Candy books to read along with The Real Real, fingers crossed I'll get round to them in 2010, heh!
Anyway, I came across two other book about girls who become stars of reality TV and here they are:

REALITY CHECK by Jen Calonita
[14 June 2010]
Sixteen-year-olds Charlie, Keiran, Brooke, and Hallie have just been signed up for their own reality television show. They can't even believe it. "You'll be The Hills meets The Secret Life of the American Teenager," the Armani-suited executive tells them, "and the hottest thing on our network." How could they say no?
But soon enough, cameras following them everywhere and interfering producers surreptitiously scripting their lives start to affect the four best friends' relationship. Brooke seems to want all the screen time. Keiran is abruptly written out of the show-and consequently the group's friendship-when she doesn't rate well. As soon as Charlie realizes what's going on, she figures out the perfect way to give the studio and her home audience a much-needed reality check.
Because friends don't let friends do reality shows.
How cute does this sound and look? What are everyone's thoughts on this cover? I've heard mixed responses so far, but I actually quite like it!


WATCH ME by Lauren Barnholdt
[6 July 2010]
Going away to college means total independence and freedom. Unless of course your freshman year is taped and televised for all the world to watch. On uncensored cable.
Sweet and normal Ally Cavanaugh is one of five freshpeople shacking up on In the House, a reality show filmed on her college campus. (As if school isn't panic-inducing enough!) The cameras stalk her like paparazzi, but they also capture the fun that is new friends, old crushes, and learning to live on your own. Sure, the camera adds ten pounds, but with the freshman fifteen a given anyway, who cares? Ally's got bigger issues -- like how her long-distance bf can watch her loopy late-night "episode" with a certain housemate . . .
As the cover says, this is a re-release of the author's work entitled REALITY CHICK and I actually used the summary for that edition as it emphasises the subject of reality TV more. Both the cover and the title have been changed for the re-release and I have to say the change has been a definite upgrade, although I quite liked the previous title.

Can't wait to get my hands on these books! What are you waiting on? :)

ps: What are your thoughts on Hilary Duff writing YA novels? (Sarah Dessen tweeted: "Writing YA is the new black!" - LOL!) Will you read it? I honestly don't care about Hilary Duff, I don't think I've seen a single thing she was in, but I probably won't be able to resist the hype this book will very likely be subjected to and I'll probably give it a chance, heh.

pps: Don't forget - my BEFORE I FALL contest ends today, on the 10th! You only have until midnight so go enter now if you haven't already! :)

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both of these sounds so good! I actually just came across Reality Check like a few hours ago. The cover is cute for sure. I've never read anything with this kind of premise so I'm very intrigued. ;)

Luisa at Chicklish said...

Oh, what a great linked WoW post! Interesting to hear about the update of Lauren Barnholdt's book - I read it back when it was called Reality Chick! And I'm with you on the Reality Check cover - I think it's cute. I love the tagline!

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Luisa - wow, you've read it already? How was it? :)

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Interesting selections! They sound very cute, and seem to have unique plots. Hope you enjoy them!

Emidy
from Une Parole

Lais said...

They both sound really good and really interesting. I laughed when I saw the cover for Reality Check. I don't know, something about those dolls... hahaha! Cute cover though.

Love the cover for Watch Me.

Jeanne C. said...

I'm totally into the Watch Me book. Reality Check - I'm not so sure.

Sa Toya said...

Watch Me has that come hitherness to it...I may have to get it...Reality Check sounds interesting ,the cover I enjoy....it like the Bratz dolls.

I've already read the L.A Candy books myself...

YA Book Queen said...

Both sound awesome, especially Watch Me! It's a re-release? I'll have to check it out!

Great picks! :D

Shweta said...

Great picks..Jen Calonita's book sounds like Real, Real which I didn't quite like :) Watch Me sounds read worthy ..

Shy said...

I've not heard of either of these but the 1st one sounds very interesting. As to the cover of the book, it was OK but I think the doll at the most right did give me a creep. It reminded me too much of the movie "Chucky". Yes, I swear not to watch that movies ever again!

Chloe said...

Not sure I like the first cover, but both books sound very good!

Alix said...

I really like the sound of Watch Me, thanks for the recommendation.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I crown you the queen of finding lovely book covers :)

Cindy said...

I love the Watch Me cover, its so pretty :)

Unknown said...

Two books on a really similar theme. If I'm honest neither really appeals, I'm not one for reality TV shows unless it is Strictly Come Dancing. But I shall wait to see how much you enjoy them when they are released before I cast judgment.

Novelicious said...

Watch me looks great. Not sure about the Reality Check cover. So cartoony, kind of makes me think of BRATZ or something! x

Christina / Book Addict said...

Watch Me looks interesting. The cover of Reality Check is kind of funny. I agree with Novelicious- they are Bratz dolls! Thanks for visiting my WoW!

Milka said...

I love the Secret's of my Hollywood Life series by Jen Calonita, so obviously I cannot wait to get Reality Check to my hands. :)

-Ria xo said...

Oooh! Reality check sounds/looks fabtastic!
Sorry I haven't been commenting in a while btw. Problem with the computor...... (: xx

Lauren said...

I like the sound of both of these. I'm not sure about the cover for Reality Check - it's a near miss for me, but I like the premise.

Hillary Duff writing books? I don't know. If it's bad it'll just make me annoyed that someone can get a book deal because they're famous. But then, perhaps she's famous *and* a really good writer who might have been published anyway. I'll reserve judgement for now I think.

Erica said...

I'm really looking forward to both of these - but ESPECIALLY Lauren Banrholdt's book!

Tina said...

I really liked Reality Chick. The new title and cover are more attractive and hopefully will attract more readers. Her writing rocks.

Anonymous said...

They are not BRATZ! They are a Japanese doll called Pullip. I collect and I'm positive they are Pullips. Bratz are butt-ugly, these are definatley Pullips! Go look up pictures!

Unknown said...

I was the previous anonymous. There are pullips this Pullip doll customizer called Princess Tapi customized them, go here to meet all the Pullips on the cover:
http://www.princesstapi.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33

Post a Comment